VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA
Director: Irwin Allen
US Premiere: 12 July 1961
Copyright 1961 Windsor Productions Inc.
Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
Story set aboard an enormous atomic submarine, the Seaview, with the Earth under threat from a burning radiation belt.
Walter Pidgeon - Adm. Harriman Nelson
Joan Fontaine - Dr. Susan Hiller
Barbara Eden - Lt. Cathy Connors
Peter Lorre - Commodore Lucius Emery
Robert Sterling - Captain Lee Crane
Michael Ansara - Miguel Alvarez
Frankie Avalon - Lt (J. G.) Danny Romano
Regis Toomey - Dr. Henry Jamieson
John Litel - Vice-Admiral B.J. Crawford
Howard McNear - Congressman Llewellyn Parker
Henry Daniell - Dr. Zucco
Skip Ward - Seaview Officer at UN
Mark Slade - Seaman Jimmy 'Red' Smith
Charles Tannen - Chief Crewman Gleason
Del Monroe - Kowski
Anthony Monaco - Cookie
Michael Ford - Seaview Officer
Robert Easton - Sparks
Jonathan Gilmore - George Young
Richard Adams - Crew Member
Art Baker - UN Commentator
Robert Buckingham - Crew Member
George Diestel - Lt. Hodges
Don Forbes - TV Commentator
Dr. John Giovanni - Italian delegate
Larry Gray - Dr. Newmark
William Herrin - Sonar
Kendrick Huxham - UN Chairman
David McLean - Commander Ned Thompson
James Murphy - Seaview Helmsman
Bud Garrett - Crewman
Producer - Irwin Allen
Screenplay - Irwin Allen and Charles Bennett
Story - Irwin Allen
Director - Irwin Allen
Music - Paul Sawtell and Bert Shefter
Director of Photography - Winton Hoch, A.S.C.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Theme Song - Russell Faith
Art Direction - Jack Martin Smith, Herman A. Blumenthal
Set Decorations - Walter M. Scott, John Sturtevant
Special Photographic Effects - L. B. Abbott, A.S.C.
Underwater Photography - John Lamb
Film Editor - George Boemler, A.C.E.
Assistant Director - Ad Schaumer
Technical Advisor - Fred Zendar
Makeup - Ben Nye
Hair Styles - Helen Turpin, C.H.S.
Costume Design - Paul Zastupnevich
Assistant to Producer - Al Gail
Sound - Alfred Bruzlin, Warren B. Delaplain
Orchestration - Max Reese
Color by De Luxe
- Del Monroe and Mark Slade also starred in the television series of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
- Anthony Monaco (Cookie) appears in the television pilot "Eleven Days to Zero" courtesy of stock footage used from this movie. He is also the only character from the movie to reprise his role in the television series of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
- Frankie Avalon sang the theme song which was written by Russell Faith.
- There were multiple Seaview miniatures. The 18ft model (see blueprints below) was used for surface shots whilst an 8ft model was used for underwater filming. A smaller 4ft miniature sits on a shelf in Admiral Nelson's office.
- Many of the sets and props made their way into the television version of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
- The shark's name is Bessie.
- Crane and Cathy Connors are due to marry 3 weeks after the start of the story.
- Cookie's parrot is named Aggie.
- What happened to David McLean? He disappears from the movie very early on and other officers (Michael Ford and Skip Ward) take on his character's scenes from the script.
Brazil: Viagem ao Fundo do Mar
France: Voyage au Fond Des Mers
France: Le Sous-Marin de l'Apocalypse
Germany: Unternehmen Feuergürtel
Italy: Viaggio in Fondo al Mare
Spain: Viaje Al Fondo Del Mar
TWELVE WINDOW MOVIE SEAVIEW MINIATURE BLUEPRINT
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA MOVIE BANNER
A unique collectible is up for auction on Ebay. It is a hand sewn nylon banner that was hung below the front of the theatre for the Hollywood Premiere of the 1961 "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" movie. The banner is 18 feet long by 30 inches wide.
This rare item is being auctioned on Ebay; auction ref. 111392472352, ending 6 July 2014 at 7pm PDT.
Motion Picture Seaview Model Kit
50th Anniversary CD Soundtrack
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: 50th Anniversary Limited Edition CD of the 1961 movie soundtrack. Available from La-La Land Records
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Movie DVD
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Movie Blu-Ray
The 1961 movie version of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea is to be released on Blu-Ray on both sides of the Atlantic this Autumn. The Blu-Ray version will be available in the USA from 8 October 2013 and in the UK from 4 November 2013.